Posted on October 1, 2021
Are you on a tight budget and can’t afford to pay for siding professional service? Don’t worry. It doesn’t matter how much work you need to be done on your house. In fact, most work is completed within 48 hours, and some do it in one day. Here are a few things you should know about siding professional installation from Siding Contractors Tallahassee FL.
Once you’ve chosen a siding professional, make sure you’re dealing with someone who’s experienced with the type of siding you have installed on your home. Most siding jobs are accomplished on-site during the warmer months, but there are some jobs that will only require the help of skilled professionals during colder weather. The installation temperature varies based on where the siding job will be located and how complicated it will be. So, make sure you’re dealing with someone who knows what they’re doing when it comes to this type of siding job.
A siding professional always uses high quality materials on each job. Whether you’re dealing with new or used siding materials, you want to get quality for every dollar you spend on the project. The cost of the materials used will affect the final price of your installation. This is why you should always check out the prices of similar products at different home improvement stores before hiring a siding contractor to install your siding.
Make sure you get several bids before choosing a siding professional to do your work. There are several ways to get estimates without having to talk to contractors. You can search online using the keywords “siding contractor”, “siding estimate” or “siding estimates”. Most contractors will have a website with plenty of competitive information. You can also check out local business magazines for business advertising in siding estimates or even request quotes from homeowners who are looking for a contractor. Once you receive several bids, compare them to make sure you’re getting a good deal.
If you don’t know many homeowners, finding a siding professional contractor becomes more difficult. However, if you go through a home improvement store, you can usually find a handful of homeowners who would be willing to give a few days notice that they will be doing some work in their homes. This can help you narrow down the choices of contractors to those who specialize in particular types of siding material. If you’re just after one particular type of material, you can find a number of contractors who only deal with that material type.
Ask your friends and family for referrals if you think you may need to hire a home siding professional. Friends and family are usually happy to help out because they don’t want to see you waste your time trying to find one. Ask them about their recommendations, but make sure you follow them. After all, their recommendations are going to be based on their own personal experiences with home siding replacement companies.
Engineered wood is the most popular choice for homeowners, although vinyl siding is catching up thanks to new innovations in vinyl products. Vinyl is an easy product to work with, has a strong hold, and comes in a wide variety of styles. While it’s not as tough as wood, it does have a more natural look that some homeowners prefer.
Whatever you decide on, remember that it’s a big job and one that should be done right the first time. A little research goes a long way, so it would be a good idea to spend a few hours researching the many options available before making a final decision on what kind of siding to use for your exterior home improvement project. Even if you’re working with a do-it-yourself program, there are plenty of DIY articles and books that will guide you through the installation process. Make sure you take advantage of these resources.
Posted on September 27, 2021
Hiring Concrete Contractors is not easy. You will need to know about a few essential factors before you hire them. First of all, you must make sure that you have a clear concept or understanding about what you want concrete work for. For instance, if you’re having a new driveway constructed, you might have specific drainage, traffic, or aesthetics requirements. Concrete Contractors Jacksonville FL will discuss these with you to find suitable concrete driveways that meet your needs.
After you have defined your needs, you can start searching for concrete contractors in your area. Start your search by looking up the local phone directory under “concrete contractors” or something similar. This will give you a list of concrete contractors near you. Once you have a list ready, you should start calling each one of them. Ask questions about the concrete project that you have in mind. Usually, they are more than willing to give you free estimates on different options available for your patio.
If you have already contacted several concrete contractors, now is the time to choose one from them. It’s advisable to contact at least three to get a feel of their service. Once you’ve found a concrete contractor that meets your needs, ask him to customize a quote according to your specifications. Most companies provide custom quotes.
The next step is to get bids from each concrete contractor on your list. Compare prices and quality to choose the one who will give you the best value for the money. Make sure you check past references and feedback from other clients of a paving contractors driveway contractor and concrete contractor to make sure you have a good relationship with him.
Next, you should make sure you understand the quality work that they offer. It’s obvious that you want quality work done with your concrete contractors. Ask them for a sample of their work. You should also ask them about the process they used for the job and if they were able to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Ask potential contractors to provide you with contact information of past and present employees.
Always ask about the materials they use. Quality materials and workmanship play a big role in making home improvements. Ask concrete companies near you to show you samples of their previous jobs.
If you hire a paving contractor, make sure he is fully licensed and insured. It’s important that your new driveway not only look great, but also be safe. You should always ask for quality guarantees from concrete contractors. After all, you’ll never know how much damage can be caused by poor quality work.
Look for a concrete contractors who has a good reputation in the area. You can check the Better Business Bureau or visit your local Chamber of Commerce to see what kind of complaints have been logged against a particular company. It’s wise to ask your friends and family members for recommendations when it comes to concrete patios installers. It’s also wise to ask your neighbors for recommendations of local installers.
Finally, ask about the price and what you’ll be paying for. Understand the price up front before you sign a contract. Make sure you understand what the total price will be including any extra fees. Often, concrete contractors will tack on a fee for a free estimate. Don’t be afraid to ask the price upfront if you’re not completely sold on the idea of a concrete patio. You don’t have to go over the top with a huge price, just make sure you’re comfortable with the price and the services you’re going to receive.
There are a lot of different concrete contractors out there. If you want to get a concrete patio installed in your home, take the time to do some research and compare prices. This way you won’t end up with a project that you can’t afford. Ask your friends and family members for referrals to help you find the right professional for your home improvements.
Posted on July 8, 2021
What exactly are stocks? Stock is any shares in a corporation that a shareholder individually owns. A single share of stock represents a fractional share of a corporation in whole or in part, depending on the number of shares authorized. Stocks are sold and traded on the open market as well as in registered trading houses. To learn more about stocks, visit this website at https://www.scamrisk.com/parallel-profits/.
Stocks are common in small business ownership and personal ownership. There are two types of stocks: common stocks and preferred stocks. Common stocks are those in which the shareholders and owners share the dividends are entitled to their total rewards, which are generally significant. Preferred stocks have different voting rights and are used for the investment of money.
Growth stocks are typically chosen for growth purposes. The dividends paid by these kinds of stocks help finance the growth of a company so that it can expand. In the United States and Canada, growth stocks include energy stocks, which are traded for their intrinsic value and for their potential return on equity.
Growth stocks earn a high profit by earning dividends. The term of a company’s life, in years, is determined by the number of common shares outstanding plus the net amount of dividends paid during the year. When a company goes bankrupt, however, all the outstanding shares are usually wiped out. The value of these stocks is determined through the method used in determining the method of calculation of capital gain and dividends. Some companies use different accounting methods and different classifications of stocks throughout the year.
Most investors are attracted to growth stocks. These are typically easy to buy stocks because they pay high dividends even when the market is experiencing a downturn. Investors also like to buy stocks based on their ability to increase in value. The dividends are also attractive when an investor receives them.
One popular way to make money on the Internet is through the purchase of penny stocks. Penny stocks are normally inexpensive compared to other stocks available on the marketplace. They are easy to find and buy, and have a relatively low likelihood of going bankrupt. Another way to make money on the Internet is through the sale of commodities such as gold and gas. These types of commodities are also inexpensive and increase in value when the prices in the market increase.
Stocks, as defined above, are the stock in any given company that is currently performing well enough to be profitable. An investor can purchase shares of a company with the intention of either cashing in on their profits for a profit or selling the company to someone else in the future for a profit. It is possible that the profits from a stock will never be realized, however, there are many investors that are able to realize profits and who make a good living off of investing in companies like this. For more information about how to buy and sell stocks, it would be wise to do research on the Internet.
Another way to invest in stocks is by using growth stock mutual funds. Growth stock mutual funds are investment funds dedicated to investments that focus on the growth of certain companies. For example, an investor could choose to invest in companies that produce medical supplies or that provide technology for the production of automobiles. This type of investment allows investors to obtain the gains from the rising prices of these items without having to concern themselves with whether the prices will go up or down. Because the returns are guaranteed, it is a good way to guarantee a profit from your investments.
Posted on September 28, 2020
Having a wide landscape with a lush, green lawn might mean you also have a set of multiple sprinklers installed in different places. You may not want to exert too much effort in manually watering your lawn daily. Doing so could lead to over or underwatering some parts of your landscape, which can damage most foliage types.
In order to do that, you will need to detach the previous sprinkler cap and replace it with a flat cap. This flat cap will block the water from spraying while the sprinkler system is running. An alternative to a flat cap is to completely remove the sprinkler head and replace it with a PVC pipe cap.
In this article, we will show you how to cap off a sprinkler head using a flat, plastic cap.
How To Install A Flat Sprinkler Cap
1. Buy a sprinkler’s flat cap that matches your sprinkler system. Your existing sprinkler system originally has a flat, plastic caps or plugs that match exactly your sprinkler head. But if you can no longer find the cap, you can buy another one on any of your local hardware stores or the manufacturer’s website.
2. Turn off the water supply. Look for the valve that connects the water supply and your sprinkler system. Rotate the valve clockwise to turn it off. This will block the water from flowing out of the sprinkler while you are placing the new flat cap.
3. Dig the soil surrounding the sprinkler head. Dig a hole around your sprinkler head using a gardening shovel, around 1 to 2 inches. Place the soil on the side so that you can refill the hole later. It is important to clear the dirt in your sprinkler head surrounding to make sure that it will not enter the system once you remove the cap.
4. Remove the cap of your sprinkler head. Turn your sprinkler head’s cap in a counterclockwise direction to remove it. If you find it hard to remove the cap using your hands, you can use a pair of pliers.
5. Place the new cap in the head. Your new flat cap must perfectly match your existing sprinkler. Screw it over the threads on the top of your sprinkler and rotate it in a clockwise motion.
6. Return the soil on the hole and open your sprinkler system. From the water supply valve, turn the water back on by rotating it in a counterclockwise motion. Then open your sprinkler system and test your new sprinkler cap. If no water is coming out while the sprinkler system is on, it means your installation is successful. However, if you see some water leaking or flowing, you may want to repeat the process and make sure that the plastic cap is tightly attached to the sprinkler head.
Place the new cap in the head. Capping off your sprinkler head sounds easy and simple, but you should be extra careful not to touch or dent the sprinkler system while you’re digging a hole around it. Also, the replacement cap must perfectly fit the sprinkler head to completely block the water from flowing.
Posted on September 28, 2020
Your house is an investment that you surely want to keep for a long time. It needs strong and durable materials to endure outside elements and time. A popular one is concrete. Homeowners and experts use it for its impressive properties for construction or other purposes. Concrete needs to get poured during construction.
If you want to know how that is done, then here is a step-by-step guide:
Step 1: Preparation
First, you have to clean your area. Make sure that nothing will interfere when you are already pouring the material. Expose the earth, and get your subbase and put it in the area. It has to get compacted and stable. Use a hand tamper or plate compactors to do the task. Prepare the form or a wooden perimeter around the area to get a better result. Make sure that you get measurements, slopes, and angles right. Next, add wire mesh or rebar for support. It is essential for structural integrity and prevent cracks from appearing. You have to know if the area you are cementing needs to hold a specific weight because you have to make sure that it can hold it.
Step 2: Mixing
For the next part, you have to mix your concrete. Get Portland cement, sand, and gravel, then mix them in a cement mixer or wheelbarrow in the ratio of 1:2:4. Add as little water as possible, just enough to combine everything. The resulting mixture should appear smooth and consistent.
Step 3: Pouring
Pour your concrete mixture into the mold you created. If you have a truck, then you can use that, but you may also use your wheelbarrow to fill the area. You should have some people to help you spread it, especially if the place is large. Use rakes, shovels, or “come along.”
Step 4: Screeding
Screed the top of your concrete by using a tool while it is still wet. Make the surface as flat and even as you can. Work from top to bottom, so you will end up with an expert-looking work.
Step 5: Floating
You have to be quick in doing the next step. Use a large floating device to help the cream rise to the surface. Do this in repeated long sweeping motions.
Step 6: Adding Control Joints
Next, you have to add control joints using a groover. Do this every five or six feet, and cut them about a quarter of the thickness of the concrete. That is essential because it will help it adjust to temperature changes and avoid cracks.
Step 7: Add Traction
Use a broom and create designs on your drying concrete. You may also use a soft brush or trowel to give the area some texture. Slide them over the surface to create grooves that are not too deep. That will help make the concrete not too slippery when wet.
Step 8: Sealing
Get a concrete sealer and use it to cover the area after it cures for 28 days.
Step 9: Maintaining
Concrete does not need a lot of effort, but maintaining it will keep it at is best.
Concrete is a popular material, now, you know how to pour it and use it on other projects.
Any homeowner wants to have a solid foundation for their property. A concrete slab can do wonders in providing a strong foundation not only to the interiors of your home but also to your garden shed. It can be the strongest and long-lasting foundation for your shed. A concrete slab will maintain the shed level and keep the grass and weeds from growing under and around your shed.
Learning how to pour this slab properly is essential to maintain the desired shed level that will protect from rot, mold, and moisture. If you are going to pour a concrete slab on your own, you will need to plan and prepare the tools that you will use.
Materials and tools you will need:
- High-quality cement
- Crushed stones
- Round bladed (digging) shovel
- Wooden stakes
- Steel bar
- Anchor bolts
- Plastic sheeting
- 4 feet level
- Tape measure
- Protective gear (work gloves, safety goggles, rubber boots, and a dust mask
- Concrete mixer
A concrete pad foundation, you will need the following: ½ rebar, gravel, wood for a pad, and 2x4s for stakes and kickers.
Steps on how to pour a concrete slab for a shed:
1. Find an appropriate place for your slab, ideally a flat ground. Clean and prepare this ground by eliminating roots, grass, rocks, and dirt. Get the measurement of the shed’s dimensions and mark the location of the slab on the ground using a string and wooden pegs. The slab must be a little bigger than the shed.
2. Using a spade and pickaxe, dig the spot up to the depth of 20cm. If you find any roots, simply remove it. Make sure that the base of the excavation is level.
3. The wooden formwork should be built using timber planks and screws. It must be about 10 cm above the ground around the perimeter of the foundation hole. The formwork must have no gaps in it.
4. Pour in a 15 cm layer of crushed stones and compress it with the help of the tamper.
5. Prepare and mix a batch of concrete using the following ingredients – sand, water, and cement. Make sure to read and follow the instructions on the cement bag.
6. Pour in about 5 cm of mixed concrete and using a float, flatten it out. Also, make sure that it is properly level.
7. Get your steel rebar and cut it to size. Wet the pieces of steel rebar with water and lay it on top of the newly poured concrete. Using thin wire, fix the rebar together.
8. Again, pour another 5 cm layer of concrete on top of the steel bar. It must be level with the top of the wooden framework. Smooth out the surface using float.
9. Just before the concrete dries and solidifies, place anchor bolts in the four corners of wet concrete. This will serve as the stand later on. Make sure that you insert the anchor bolts on the right location because it will be challenging to reverse it once the concrete dries.
10. Let the concrete set for at least 24 hours before removing the wooden framework. Remove any sharp edges of concrete.
11. Allow the concrete to cure for 28 days. As you let it cure, occasionally damp the surface with water to keep its moisture. Cover it with plastic sheeting for protection.
12. After 28 days or once the concrete has cured, put the wooden shed at the top of the slab attaching it to the anchor bolts.
Concrete has been used throughout history – from the ancient Rome arena up to the modern-day buildings. It plays a vital role in the overall construction of different cities. Most of our office buildings and homes nowadays are made up of concrete. That is why getting and maintaining a smooth concrete surface is important for many of us.
Sanding a concrete is one of the ways you can give your concrete a more polished and clean look. It can also make your concrete surface look like expensive natural stone materials. This is also a process of resurfacing an old concrete floor or building.
Why should I sand my concrete floor?
If you have an old concrete floor that needs resurfacing or just a little polishing to make it look fresh and new again, then sanding is a method that you may want to consider. Aside from a more polished look, there are many reasons why homeowners sand their concrete:
- You have decided to cure, finish, or paint the exterior of your concrete.
- Your concrete floor is rough or uneven that it needs some polishing.
- Your concrete floor was poured poorly that it needs some correction.
- You want to smooth out the surface of your concrete floor.
There are countless reasons people resort to concrete sanding but regardless of their reason, the method is almost the same.
How To Sand A Concrete By Hand
Hand sanding is ideal for polishing a counterpart or small surfaces. In this method, you will be using sandpaper, hand grinder, or random orbital sander. Since this is manual work, it takes some patience, but the result is beautiful.
The most common and the easiest hand finish is a smooth finish or scuffing. Scuffing refers to the process of scraping or brushing off the surface.
- Diamond sanding pads
- Concrete polisher or angle grinder
- Patching slurry (same shade as your concrete)
- Sponge or squeegee
Step By Step Process:
- Clean out the surface to remove any debris that might cause small holes.
- Specified the type of finish that you want. Measure and mark the depth on the edge of the surface. Examples: 1/16, 1/8, or 1/4 inches.
- Check if there are any holes or pit in the concrete surface.
- If you found holes, fill it with a patching slurry.
- Sand the entire concrete surface using the coarsest grade of sandpaper. Manage to keep your pressure even.
- If you are using a grinder, make sure that it is leveled to prevent uneven results. Remember that concrete polishers need a constant supply of water for a great outcome.
- Using hand pads, reach the spots that the grinder can’t reach.
- Wipe the concrete surface using a sponge to remove any debris.
- Use the next finer grade of sandpaper for a more polished result.
- Wipe the surface again using a sponge to get rid of the small particles.
- Rinse the concrete surface with water.
- Repeat the process if necessary until you get the desired result.
- Allot time to let the concrete dry. Since concrete is porous, give it one to two days to dry.
- Apply a concrete sealer for a more polished look and more protection.
A floor sander is used when you are sanding large concrete spaces. When you are working indoors using a sander, it is recommended to sand the entire part, because using it on a certain spot can result in discoloration on the other parts of your concrete.
- Duct tape
- Epoxy resin
- Floor grinder or pole sander
- Plastic sheeting
- Protective gear (face mask, goggles, earplugs, rubber gloves)
- Shop vacuum
Step By Step Instruction:
- Prepare the work area by removing all the furniture in the room
- Install your protective coverings. Cover any wall, doorways, vents, or other surfaces with plastic sheeting to prevent dust from spreading and sticking.
- Clean the floor by mopping it.
- Allow the floor to dry after mopping.
- Create a partition or zones to focus on one section at a time while working.
- Start working in one corner using a 30 to 60 grit sandpaper.
- Move with the next sections of the floor.
- Make additional vertical passes.
- Gently sand over bumps with repeated passes until they are even or smooth. But refrain from leaving the sander stationary.
- Check for any cracks or pits and fill them with epoxy resin.
- Allow the epoxy to dry.
- Have another round of passes, starting from the corner where you ended back to the starting point.
- Make multiple sets of passes, this time running horizontally in both directions.
- Wipe the floor with a clean sponge, rag or mop to remove any debris.
- Apply an even coat of concrete sealer. Don’t forget to read and follow the instruction on the product label.
- Use an 80 or 120 grit sandpaper while repeating the steps.
- Wipe clean the floor again.
- Switch to finer grit sandpaper for a smoother, polished look.
- Keep on repeating the steps above using finer grit sandpaper. Made several passes gently until you reach the industry ideal of 1,500 grit.
- Mop or clean occasionally while making some passes to get rid of unnecessary dust.
- Seal it with a paint of sealant for a more polished appearance.
Stucco, in comparison to the normal cement covering, gives the wall a sophisticated texture and in some cases, architectural decorations. Some homeowners choose to hang some nice fancy items like frames or paintings on the stucco wall to add more details and decors.
That’s why knowing how to screw into stucco is important if you want to add more do-it-yourself furnishings into your stucco. Normal drilling cannot hold up the screws in the wall. Following the proper method on how to prick the screws into the stucco wall is straightforward.
Step by step process on how to install screws into stucco:
Before working, make sure to prepare all the necessary tools like your safety gear and other power tools.
1. Mark the location of the screw on stucco with a pencil
Using a pencil or a felt-tip marker, mark the placement of the screw on stucco that you have to prick in. This is to prevent extra marks or dirt on the stucco.
2. Align the drill on the position before making a drill
Install a masonry drill bit into your driller. After that, align and put the driller on the spot of the mark that you have drawn earlier. Grip the drill on the stucco at a 90-degree angle on the wall in order for you to make a hole directly to the wall.
Slowly drill into the spot you have marked to prick a hole in the wall. It is important to drill on a slow phase to make the drill even and straight and to avoid the wall from chipping.
While wearing your protective goggles, slowly blow the chips and dust from the hole to make it clean and to ensure that the drill is going smooth.
3. Place caulk in the hole
After drilling a hole to the stucco wall, place some caulk inside it. This will keep the stucco wall from getting damaged by the drilling and it will have a recovery coating stuck in the hole. This also helps in making further steps to work well and have an even finishing for the hole to put the screws in it.
4. Put the screw anchor to the hole
Choose the right size of the anchor-based on the size of the screw that you will use. Take note that the size of the screw must be based on the object that you plan to hang on the stucco wall. Then, put the screw anchor into the hole. Using a screwdriver, insert the anchor in the hole. A hammer can also be an alternative in forging in the anchor to the wall. Continue until the anchor is fully inside of the wall.
5. Prick in the screw
Push the screw in the anchor using a screwdriver or hammer. Make sure that the caulk is solidly adhering to the anchor.
Place the screw to the wall based on the length requirement of the screw head and continue screwing until you reach the fixed length. Remember that you to be careful about the screws that you are using.
Having a sprinkler system is ideal because it distributes the water sprays around the lawn in a uniform manner. However, adjustments are needed to be done first to maximize the usage of the sprinkler system. And so, how can we adjust the sprinkler heads?
This post will serve as your guide in adjusting sprinkler heads. Follow the steps thoroughly, and you’ll have a fully functioning sprinkler system! But first, there are a few things you need to know before adjusting.
There are three types of sprinklers, and those are: pop-up, rotor, and impact sprinklers. For this post, the instructions under each type of sprinklers apply to all of its brands. Depending on the brand and type of sprinklers, you might need to refer to a manual for instructions on how to adjust it.
Let’s elaborate on the steps for each type of sprinkler heads!
For water spray distance:
To begin adjusting the water spray distance of the pop-up sprinkler, make sure the system is turned on so that the sprinkler head will be visible for you to make the proper adjustment. Once it has popped up, make sure to grasp the sprinkler’s body to prevent it from lowering again. Then, proceed to adjust the screw at the head to adjust the water spray distance. By turning the screw in a clockwise direction, the water spray distance will be reduced; and vice versa.
For water spray arc:
To begin adjusting the water spray arc of the pop-up sprinkler, locate the adjustment socket at the top of the sprinkler head and then, rotate the head to the right-hand limit of travel. Be sure to hold it in that position. After that, insert the plastic head of the wrench and rotate the socket in a clockwise direction to increase the arc range of the sprinkler. Do the opposite to decrease the arc instead.
For water spray distance:
Just like pop-up sprinklers, you can adjust the distance of the water spray by turning the adjustment screw in a clockwise direction, until it reaches the water stream. And then, turn the screw counterclockwise until the screw’s end is not touching the water stream anymore. Turn the screw clockwise if the water is spraying afar to reduce the distance, and vice versa. Adjust the screw until the desired distance is reached.
For water spray arc:
You can adjust the rotor sprinkler’s arc by using the rotor key on the adjustment keyhole. To do so, you need to turn on the sprinkler system first and position yourself behind the sprinkler to prevent being wet. Following that, hold the sprinkler’s top cover gently and rotate it to the left until it reaches its limit of travel. Then, rotate it back to the right until it stops. Once that is done, insert the plastic end of the rotor key to the adjustment keyhole (the hole with plus and minus on both sides). Lastly, rotate the key towards the plus sign to increase the arc, and vice versa.
For water spray distance:
You can adjust the distance that the impact sprinkler’s sprayed water can reach by adjusting the diffuser pin or distance control dial for other brands. By rotating the pin or dial to a clockwise direction, the output’s distance will be reduced. The spray distance will increase if it’s rotated at a counterclockwise direction instead.
For water spray arc:
You can adjust the rotor sprinkler’s arc by simply raising or lowering the trip pin in the impact sprinkler. By raising it until it rests against the sprinkler head, a 360-degree coverage arc will be fully achieved.
By following these instructions, you can adjust sprinkler heads! If this post has helped you, please don’t hesitate to share this with others!
Updated on September 11, 2020
Having a stucco in your wall exudes an upscale and sophisticated impression in your home. This advantage makes your home more appealing especially if you are trying to resell it to the market. It can easily increase the resell market value of your house. However, there are also downsides as it is not low in maintenance as other options such as vinyl siding and brick homes.
Stucco is light color and porous in nature. It makes it prone to elements such as pollen stains, algae, dirt. mold and mildew. But there are several available options to prevent and drive with those pesky stains away. Using the right tools and procedures, you can successfully remove these stains.
1. Inspect your stucco
Inspect the stucco if there is any damage such as chips and cracks before cleaning it. Washing a damaged stucco can cause further damages as the water can get into cracks, resulting in mold and mildew to grow. If you found any flaw or damage to your stucco, having it repaired first prior to cleaning.
2. Repair any crack or chips in your stucco
If you found any crack, seal it with caulk. Exterior acrylic caulk can be used to repair any minor damages. Just choose a caulk that matches the color of your stucco exterior. This is available in most home improvement stores. If you find it hard to look for the color that perfectly matches your stucco wall, then settle for the closest one. As long as the damage is not too prominent, the mismatch in color won’t really be too obvious. After applying the caulk, give it at least a week to dry.
3. Examine the problem areas
Identify the causes of stains on your stucco. Is it mildew or algae? Is it just general dirt and debris? If you see a black stain that closely resembles dirt, it could be mildew. Investigate further. Does the black stain appear on the spot where water usually drips or accumulates? If yes, then it is most likely mildew. However, a green stain is most likely algae. You can use bleach to clean microorganisms such as algae and mildew.
4. Make a combination of cleaning solutions
Select a concentrated cleaner designed specifically for exterior surfaces. A description that says, “professional strength concentrate” is a viable option as it contains ingredients like acetic acid and sodium o-phenylphenate. Carefully read the instruction and mix the concentrated cleaner and bleach. You can also add some hot water to make it more potent. This mixture of cleaning solution helps in killing the microorganisms such as algae and mildew.
5. Use a cleaning solution that is alternative to bleach
If you don’t want to use bleach due to some allergy or sensitivities, you can opt for Borax-based solutions. Borax is a natural substance that is equally effective as bleach in killing molds and mildews but less toxic than bleach. For this solution, you will need hot water, dish soap, and Borax. Combine the three ingredients in a large container. You can refer to this measurement: 2 gallons of warm to hot water, 2 tablespoons of dish soap, and 1/2 cup of Borax.
6. Wash the wall with water using a pressure washer
Pressure washers have different nozzles that spray different amounts of water pressure. Since stucco is delicate, choose a low-pressure spray tip nozzle to the pressure washer’s hose. Cover the entire wall with water before applying the solution.
7. Apply the cleaning solution
Using a pump sprayer, spray the cleaning solution. Segregate your wall into different sections and start spraying your cleaning solution to the first section. It is recommended to focus on heavy stains and start from the bottom and work your way to the top until you have covered the entire wall.
8. Let the cleaning solution sit for five to ten minutes
To ensure that the cleaning solution works effectively and penetrates the stains thoroughly. After a few minutes, gently spray the wall with water while you let the cleaning solution penetrates your wall. Since stucco is porous and usually soaks up water, you have to add some water to keep the cleaning solution activated. For walls stained with algae, you have to keep the cleaning solution for at least thirty minutes.
Scrub the wall
Scrub the stained spots using a rotating brush while still soaked with a cleaning solution. You need to scrub more on areas with heavy stains. Scrubbing helps to loosen the grime and makes it easier to rinse.
9. Rinse off the cleaning solution
Rinse off the first section of the wall first to wash away the cleaning solution and specks of dirt. Start with the top and working your way down to the bottom. Rinse and finish each wall section thoroughly.
10. Check the stucco carefully
Make sure you haven’t missed any spots of dirt, examine it carefully. If you find any remaining dirt, repeat the application of cleaning solution, and rinse it off with water. Let it dry for at least twenty-four hours.